Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wal-Mart Does Mass Lay-Offs

As you might know, there are a lot of retailers going out of business. Circuit City, went under, Home Depot laid off 75,000 workers, times are tough. It is indeed, "The best of times, the worst of times". People might have comfort in their jobs, but they really do lay offs in a indiscriminate factor: it is really all based off of seniority. In other words, most chains of employment will go "last hired, first fired". Meaning that if you were not with a company for a long time, then you might want to dust off the ol' resume.

How bad is it at Wal-Mart? Well it is starting to affect our business. While we still make a profit there, we are getting hit with less people. Meaning people are not going out; they are just saving their money. Right now, Sam's Clubs across the nation have laid off 4-5 people per club and they have over 500 clubs. Theoretically, that is over 2,500 people without a job. And they are doing the last five on their hiring lists. If you were a new hire, find another job is all I can tell you. I recommend getting one extra job should you get hired at Sam's Club. Wal-Mart, all depends on their location: if you work at one with low profit then there will be some people let go. That's just the way it is. They are a business so there is no use in becoming altruistic about the situation, people will have to be let go.

If you are one of those people reading this blog, then I feel for you. Tough times will only get tougher. Hopefully you saved money and had a contingency plan, other wise I do not know what to tell you. If they have to let me go then so be it, I always have been good at landing on my feet. I will just out perform the market. My area's profit margin went up 4% so I think there is much to be said about my work.